It took me a long time, but I’ll finally admit it, I LOVE homeschooling. As a former public school teacher I just knew I wanted to send my kids to public school, like I had gone before my kids and like my parents had gone before me. I knew all the benefits of school and I wanted my kids to reap those benefits, gosh darnit! And I KNEW they needed to be socialized. But what I knew more than anything is that I didn’t want MY kids to be sheltered. I was against homeschooling on so many levels.
Then I started homeschooling and everything changed.
I want to share 10 of the reasons I LOVE homeschooling.
- No waking up early
- No rushing
- Impromptu field tips, whenever we want!
- My kids are best friends
- I actually know my kids and about their lives and what they are doing in school, each and every day!
- I get to watch all the magic happen (my 5 year old recently learned how to read it was amazing to watch!)
- My kids aren’t exposed to too much too early (call it sheltered if you want, but you can’t even imagine some of the things that I saw and heard from 5 year olds in the school system.)
- Going outside to play, while it’s still snowing, talk about magical!
- No driving in crazy winter conditions (We don’t have snow days, EVER, where we live in Canada…seriously! In all my 34 years of life, going to school and teaching in schools I have NEVER had a snow day!)
- I get to teach my kids what I think is valuable, no looking to the government to tell me what I should and should not teach.
Even if we only homeschooled for a season I would be completely fine with that. So in this season I will appreciate these moments with my kids and I will cherish them forever! The saying “the days are long, but they years are short” is so true. I am just getting a taste of that now, after 5 years of parenthood, and I can just imagine what it will be like 20 years from now.
If you homeschool, what do you love best about homeschooling? If send your kids to school, what do you love best about conventional school?